Saturday, August 15, 2009

ath_pci & ath5k: I want to use both of them

Here is my problem:
I have two physical wireless cards. Until now, I was using the madwifi ath_pci modules for both cards. However, it fails a lot, is not very accurate, triggers kernel oops, losses the connection, etc. To sum up, I really don't like it. However, there is another option, by using the ath5k module. Sadly, ath5k does not support AP mode for now (well, it's experimental). So what I want to do is to use ath_pci for one card, the one that will be configured as AP, and ath5k for my client.

Thanks to a geek friend (he'll recognize himself, hein nicolas ?), he figured out that we can unbind the device, as it is explained in here.

Basically, I load both drivers (ath5k and ath_pci) when my box boots, and then, I simply do

echo 0000:00:0e.0 > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ath5k/unbind
echo 0000:00:0e.0 > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ath_pci/bind

We simply unbind the desired interface from ath5k and bind it again to ath_pci. To know which number to assign, just do a lspci. That works great.

No comments:

Post a Comment